Thursday 6 October 2011

Thank You, Steve Jobs





"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."  


~Steve Jobs


There have been moments in my life that have a profound effect on my life. 


When I was little, my dad would encourage me to draw and to look at art. He told me that I could do anything I wanted to. The only failure would be to not try.


My high school friend JS told me that I had great vision and creative talent. 


During my university years, I worked at the head office of Mutual of Omaha for the summer. At the end of my time there, a company newsletter mysteriously dropped on my desk with a quote that was highlighted. The message said, creative people should follow their instincts and persevere, not be afraid of those instincts or to let others put them down because they're not popular. 


When I first started in the quilt industry, it was a tough sell because my work was really bright in a sea of primitives and country colors. There's room for all but timing is everything.  The pattern buyers at Checker Distributors were amazing. They believed in me and told me to hang on.


The editors at American Patchwork & Quilting have been awesome to work with over the years. Whenever I propose something, all they say is "make things bright and lively, you know, your usual style."


My friend, Mark Lipinski, and I share dreams of how some things should be and our conversations are wonderfully energetic and lively. Whenever I've had to work with him, he's given me the freedom to do what I've wanted.


I have been fortunate that these people have crossed my path along my journey.


I've admired Steve Jobs and his vision since the beginning. I'm not saying that I am the same as Steve Jobs but when it comes down to what he lives for, I have lived with the same passion for most of my life. There have been moments where life did get in the way but his words have resonated with me ever so deeply. There have been times when I've had a hard time explaining why I would rather do what I do than to go back and work in the pharmaceutical industry. 


My designing life has been at a cross roads where I have made some decisions on direction. It's not a bad thing. My kids are getting older and more independent. Some of their quirks and issues have worked themselves out. Technology has rapidly evolved. Digital patterns are now much more popular than ever. Business is so different from when I started. I don't think that the quilting industry has grown in leaps and bounds creatively for a while but I think that things are starting to change.


Change is good. So is living with an inexplicable, gut instinct and a vision.


Thank you, Steve Jobs, for reinforcing all that.


xo, lldb

No comments:

Post a Comment